We are South Carolina bad faith insurance lawyers. If you’re not being treated fairly by the insurance company, the Rikard & Protopapas team can help you take legal action.
Our law firm represents people and businesses throughout South Carolina. We help people who haven’t been given fair payment from an insurance claim. To talk about your case and see how we can help you, contact us today.
South Carolina Attorneys for Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuits
We are skilled lawyers for bad faith litigation in South Carolina. Here is what we want you to know:
- Sometimes, insurance companies wrongfully and unlawfully deny claims. They use a variety of tactics like low settlement offers, failing to respond to communications, and making misleading statements about the policy or the claims process.
- If the insurance company isn’t paying your claim fairly, you can take legal action.
- A claimant can seek the amount that is due under the policy, losses that they have because of bad faith, and punitive damages. Attorney’s fees may be available.
- Our lawyers represent people in claims against insurance companies. Our professionals can help you act quickly and efficiently to enforce your rights.
- There is a limited time frame to act. You must file your legal claim before the expiration of the statute of limitations.
- We’re taking new cases.
When a person or company takes out an insurance policy, they expect that it will be honored. A claimant should be able to start a claim, submit the information, and receive their payment.
Unfortunately, insurance companies make their profit when they collect premiums – not when they pay claims. They are incentivized to minimize payments and deny claims. The claimant can take legal action to seek the benefits and coverage that applies under the policy.
What we do
The South Carolina bad faith insurance lawyers of Rikard & Protopapas help people and companies get the insurance payments they deserve.
Who we represent:
- Small businesses
- Large companies
- Other legal entities
What Is Insurance Bad Faith?
Insurance bad faith is when an insurance company refuses to pay money that is owed under a policy.
When you have an insurance claim, you rely on the insurance company to pay what’s covered. They collected premiums, after all. Unfortunately, insurance companies don’t always conduct business honestly. They may misrepresent the facts, fail to respond to communications, or offer a settlement that is too low. When the insurance company doesn’t process claims fairly and honestly, they act in bad faith.
South Carolina law allows victims of bad faith insurance practices to pursue compensation. You don’t have to simply accept the lack of payment – you can take legal action.
Understanding Bad Faith Insurance in South Carolina
South Carolina Code Title 38 – Insurance, Chapter 59 – Claims Practices creates laws for insurance companies and claims processing. Examples of improper claims practices are detailed in § 38-59-20.
Here are some things that may constitute bad faith insurance practices:
- Knowingly misrepresenting facts or policy provisions, deceiving or misleading interested parties.
- Not responding to communications in a reasonable and timely manner. Companies must communicate promptly in both first-party and third-party claims.
- Failing to implement reasonable standards for prompt investigation and settlement of claims, both first and third party.
- Forcing claimants and beneficiaries to sue by offering low settlements.
- Not settling a claim promptly, fairly, and equitably when liability is clear.
- Offering too little to resolve a claim based on the likelihood that the policyholder would be required to incur attorney fees to recover the full amount.
- Invoking defenses or rescinding a policy in bad faith to discourage or reduce a claim.
- Other practices that constitute an unreasonable delay or failure to pay.
Bad faith insurance is about an insurance company not honoring their end of the bargain. When they refuse to pay or use manipulative tactics to avoid paying, the person who deserves compensation may take legal action.
Types of Insurance Policies
- Property damage
- Car insurance, motor vehicle insurance
- Accident insurance
- Healthcare and medical
- Title insurance
- Other types of insurance
In addition to representing clients in bad faith insurance claims, we also help clients locate and reconstruct insurance policies that have been lost or destroyed, allowing them to receive the coverage they have paid for.
Damages Recoverable for Bad Faith Insurance Practices
Types of damages and losses you may receive for a bad faith insurance claim include:
- The amount that should have been paid under the policy
- Additional losses and harm that you suffer because you did not receive a timely payment
- Punitive damages, with a showing of willful or reckless disregard of the insured’s rights
- Attorney’s fees
Our team can assess the damages that may be appropriate in your case.
About Our Experienced Team
Here are some reasons people choose the experienced team of Rikard & Protopapas:
- Our team is ten attorneys strong, so you have a large team of lawyers fighting for you, just like the insurance company.
- You can work with a team that understands insurance bad faith and the rights of claimants.
- Expect us to litigate your case fully. We’re trial lawyers, and we resolve cases through trial verdicts and settlements.
- We have over 100 years of combined experience. This experience guides each case we handle, and we personalize our representation to the individual needs of your case.
- Professional organizations like Super Lawyers have given us “Top Attorney” honors. With more than $100 million in verdicts and settlements, we’re proud to advocate for people and businesses in our state.
- Having bar admissions in South Carolina state courts and United States federal courts, we can represent you throughout South Carolina.
- We’ve handled cases in most counties in South Carolina.
- We also handle numerous cases throughout the United States.
Consultations Available – Taking New Cases
Contact us for a consultation with the Rikard & Protopapas bad faith insurance lawyers serving South Carolina. Learn about your case, ask questions, and see how we can help. We’re taking new cases, and we want you to receive the insurance coverage that you deserve.
Call or message us to discuss your case and begin.