If you or a loved one has been hurt, work with the experienced South Carolina motorcycle accident lawyers at Rikard & Protopapas. Get the compensation you deserve and have a legal professional guide you through the claims process. Contact us today to discuss your case and begin pursuing your compensation.
Attorneys for Motorcycle Accident Victims in South Carolina
The Rikard & Protopapas team is ten attorneys strong, and we represent motorcycle accident victims throughout South Carolina. The compensation that a victim may receive can assist with their healing and their future.
Meet the legal team that has successfully recovered millions in compensation for victims throughout the state. We understand the challenges that motorcycle victims face financially and emotionally. Helping clients meet these challenges is why we started the law firm of Rikard & Protopapas.
If you need a motorcycle accident lawyer in South Carolina, contact us for a free consultation about your case.
Cases We Handle
Types of motorcycle cases we handle include:
Head-on motorcycle collisions
A head-on motorcycle crash may cause serious injury or a fatality, regardless of the speed of impact. The motorcyclist may suffer traumatic brain injury, road rash, whiplash, broken bones, and other serious injuries.
Too often, vehicle drivers don’t make sure the path is clear before turning in front of a motorcyclist. They may be distracted, fail to check sufficiently for oncoming traffic, or misjudge the amount of space. The result may be a crash that injures the motorcyclist.
Improper lane changes and backing
Drivers must look for traffic before executing a lane change or backing up. That includes checking for the presence of motorcycles. A claim may be based on an unsafe lane change or improper backing up.
When a motorcyclist is a victim of a drunk driver, the driver may be held responsible through a legal claim. The victim may seek financial compensation for the harm that has occurred. We represent the interests of the injured victim with the goal of receiving fair payment.
Commercial vehicles are usually large and heavy. A motorcycle accident with a truck or other commercial vehicle is likely to cause serious harm to a rider. There are important things to consider when pursuing a claim including commercial vehicle regulations, employee training, and insurance policies that may pay compensation.
Serious injury can change someone’s life instantly and impact the entire family. A monetary recovery is especially important for future care needs and medical expenses. Our legal team understands how to approach a claim involving catastrophic injury. We make sure you value damages, document evidence, and pursue the full value of the claim.
Fatal motorcycle accidents, wrongful death
Families of victims of deadly motorcycle accidents may bring a wrongful death claim. They may receive compensation for the loss that has resulted from the death of their loved one and financial losses like burial expenses.
Compensation for Motorcycle Accident Victims
If you are hurt in a motorcycle accident, you should know:
- Motorcyclists have important rights — other drivers on the road have a duty of care for your safety.
- An accident victim may claim financial compensation for their losses and harm.
- If you have lost a loved one because of a motorcycle accident, you may qualify for wrongful death compensation.
- Victims have full rights under the law — you are not treated any differently because you are a motorcyclist.
- Damages may include economic and non-economic losses – victims may claim compensation for all the ways they are harmed by a motorcycle accident, including pain and suffering and mental anguish.
Motorcycle accident victims deserve to be compensated fairly. The process for compensation is a legal claim. Our law firm represents victims and their families in legal claims. Let us represent you – join the 1,600 clients that we have helped throughout South Carolina.
Why Choose Our Experienced Attorneys?
The Rikard & Protopapas lawyers have over 119 years of combined experience. Here are some reasons people choose our team of professionals for representation following a motorcycle accident:
- We are a team that understands issues that are important in motorcycle claims.
- We believe in the rights of motorcyclists and fair compensation for victims.
- Clients have a team of lawyers with diverse skills and expertise, ready to pursue their case.
- Honors and recognition include the AV® PreeminentTM rating, and Super Lawyers “Top Rated” and “Rising Star” honors. These honors recognize our commitment to our clients.
- Admissions in South Carolina courts, the United States District Court for South Carolina, the United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
- Free consultations for all new clients, with contingency fees available.
Our representation is not one-dimensional. Each client receives an individualized case plan. We provide a personalized experience for motorcycle accident victims and families as they navigate the challenges and legal process for compensation.
Basis for Motorcycle Accident Compensation
Negligence is the most common basis for claiming motorcycle accident compensation. Negligence is the absence of ordinary or reasonable care. It’s conduct that falls short of what a reasonable person would do in the same situation.
For example, a reasonable person would slow their speed in an area of heavy traffic. They would look before pulling out into traffic. Negligence depends on the specific situation.
Violating a traffic law may create a presumption that the person acted negligently, or negligence per se. A claim based on recklessness, willful or wanton conduct, or intentional harm may qualify to claim punitive damages in addition to other compensation.
As South Carolina personal injury attorneys, we explore all grounds for fault and possibilities for you to receive financial compensation for losses from a motorcycle accident.
Motorcyclist Laws in South Carolina
What is the law for motorcyclists in South Carolina?
The law for motorcyclists in South Carolina is Title 56 – Motor Vehicle, Article 29 – Motorcyclists, Rights & Duties. Generally, motorcyclists have the same rights and duties of all motor vehicle operators unless a special regulation applies or a provision is not applicable.
Laws for motorcycle riders in South Carolina
- A motorcyclist may not carry a bundle that prevents them from keeping both hands on the handlebar. They may not transport a person if doing so would interfere with the operation of the motorcycle (§ 56-5-3630).
- A motorcyclist may not attach their vehicle to another vehicle. (§ 56-5-3630).
- Other drivers must allow a motorcyclist full use of a lane. (§ 56-5-3640).
- Two motorcyclists can share a lane. (§ 56-5-3640).
- Riders under the age of 21 must wear a helmet. (§ 56-5-3660).
- Headlamp requirements apply to motorcycles, but they are different than the requirements for motor vehicles. (§ 56-5-4490).
Motor vehicle drivers have a duty to operate with reasonable care and caution, knowing that motorcyclists have a right to be on the roads.
Legal Representation in a Motorcycle Accident Case
Getting justice for a motorcycle accident case involves careful case preparation. Often, claims are made to insurance companies, and they have large teams of lawyers representing defendants. When you work with Rikard & Protopapas, you have a large team of lawyers pursuing your interests.
Here are some ways we assist motorcycle accident victims:
- Ensuring your damages are identified, valued, and claimed. We include injuries common to motorcyclists like brain injury, road rash, broken bones, damage to your bike and riding gear, and other losses.
- Proving fault and your right to compensation, working with accident reconstruction experts to demonstrate how the crash occurred.
- Understanding what is legally required for a successful claim.
- Identifying insurance policies and sources of compensation.
- Drafting legal documents, and following civil procedure to start and pursue your case.
- Creating a legal strategy and a plan for the case.
- Addressing specific legal issues that may arise like comparative negligence, punitive damages, preliminary motions, and the discovery process.
- Negotiating your settlement or presenting your case at trial.
- Answering your questions and guiding you through the process.
We ensure that you are treated fairly by building the evidence for your case and complying with procedural requirements. You can pass the burden to us, knowing that a team of experienced and mission-oriented professionals is working on your behalf.
Contingency Fees Available
Contingency fees are available. Ask us about our fee agreements and how we make sure that our services are affordable for injured victims.
A consultation with the Rikard & Protopapas motorcycle accident lawyers is always free. We welcome you to reach out to discuss your case with our team. Get information, answers to your questions, and learn about how our legal services help people like you all across the Palmetto State.
Taking New Cases Now
Our law firm is taking new cases representing motorcycle accident victims throughout South Carolina. When a collision causes injury, count on us to give your case the personal attention that you deserve.
To talk to a motorcycle accident lawyer in South Carolina, call or message the team at Rikard & Protopapas. We accept cases throughout the state, and there is no cost for your first contact. We look forward to serving you. It’s our goal to secure meaningful compensation, helping you with your future. Message us now.