Jescelyn “Jes” Spitz joined Rikard & Protopapas in 2018 as a talented litigator with experience in many areas of civil litigation. She is a skilled court room attorney having tried cases and represented clients throughout South Carolina. Clients appreciate Jes’ open and honest communication and her ability to set realistic outcomes. She advocates fiercely on her clients’ behalf because she knows the toll the death of a loved one or a personal injury case can take on her clients and their families.
While in law school, Jes served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Federal Courts Law Review, an electronic law review dedicated to legal scholarship relating to the federal courts and edited in conjunction with the FMJA (Federal Magistrate Judges Association). Jes also completed more than one hundred hours of pro bono work with the City of Charleston Prosecutor’s office and spent time working for South Carolina District Court Judge Richard M. Gergel. Following graduation, she served as law clerk to the Honorable J. Cordell Maddox, Jr. She then joined a well-regarded South Carolina based defense firm, primarily representing insurance companies. Her insurance defense background comes into play daily as she represents individuals, who have been injured, making claims against insurance companies.
Jes grew up in Sumter, South Carolina. She and her husband, Jonathan, now call Columbia home along with their son and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
ACCOLADES & ORGANIZATIONS
In addition to her law practice, Jes is involved in a number of community and professional organizations. She currently serves on the Board of Directors of One Columbia for Arts and Culture and has held several leadership positions within the Junior League of Columbia. Jes is also passionate about animal rescue, having volunteered with various animal rescue organizations, including Cavalier Rescue USA.
Jes is a member of the South Carolina Women Lawyers Association, the South Carolina Association for Justice, the American Association for Justice, South Carolina Bar, and the Richland County Bar Association, where she serves as Co-Editor of the RCBA Newsletter.
- Nursing Home & Assisted Living Injuries
- Medical Negligence & Medical Malpractice
- Tractor Trailer & Trucking Accidents
- Insurance Bad Faith & Coverage Issues
- Automobile & Motorcycle Accidents
- Charleston School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2014)
- Honors: Federal Courts Law Review, Editor in Chief; Moot Court Board; Trial Advocacy Board; CALI Awards for highest grades in Damages and Domestic Relations; ALI-CLE Scholarship and Leadership Award; and Giving Back Award Recipient
- University of South Carolina Upstate (B.A., 2010)
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- United States Supreme Court