Our Columbia nursing home abuse attorneys represent people who are harmed while living in care facilities. If you have a loved one in a residential care facility, nursing home, or long-term care facility, and you have concerns, get an experienced lawyer from Rikard & Protopapas law firm involved. We can evaluate the situation and represent your loved one.
Legal Representation for Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
There are hundreds of nursing homes in South Carolina, and dozens in Columbia, SC. Thousands of people live in these facilities. Residents depend on care providers and facility administrators to keep them safe and cared for.
When abuse or neglect occurs, victims may receive financial compensation. Our attorneys help victims bring their case to receive compensation. We provide legal representation through the entire process including investigating, documenting what happened, and pursuing a monetary payment that represents justice for the suffering that has occurred.
Our attorneys for nursing home abuse represent victims and families throughout the city of Columbia. If you think something is wrong or a loved one has been injured, contact our offices. We can guide you through understanding your loved one’s rights and how we may assist them in pursuing justice and compensation.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect We Handle
Examples of nursing home abuse and neglect may include:
- Assault and battery
- Dangerous conditions that result in a fall
- Leaving a resident immobile
- Sexual abuse
- Unsanitary conditions that lead to infection
- Failing to provide appropriate medical care
- Electrical and fire hazards
- Poor nutrition, contaminated food
- Lack of personal care and hygiene
- Emotional abuse, social isolation, abandonment
- Bedsores and pressure sores resulting from improper care
- Failing to protect a resident from others who may be dangerous
- Financial exploitation and embezzlement
These are examples of nursing home abuse and neglect. Any intentional or unintentional harm to a victim because of negligence, recklessness, or intentional acts of harm may amount to nursing home abuse.
Should I Contact A Lawyer for Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect?
Too often, family members see warning signs that something is amiss, but they fail to contact a lawyer. There’s no charge to talk to the Rikard & Protopapas legal team if you’re concerned about abuse or neglect in a nursing home. Vulnerable adults in elder care and assisted living facilities often can’t speak for themselves or seek help. We are available to review the situation, explain legal rights and options, and represent your loved one.
Signs of nursing home abuse and neglect
- Becoming anxious or withdrawn
- Injuries that don’t have a reasonable explanation
- Frequent injuries or bruising
- Over or under medication
- Avoiding certain caregivers
- Cuts and lacerations
- Rapid weight loss or weight gain
- Dehydration, malnutrition
- Bedsores and infection
- Unsanitary living conditions, soiled clothes or bedding
- Broken bones
- Death that is sudden or unexplained
Nursing homes often go to great lengths to cover up their behavior. You may only suspect that something is amiss. Your loved one deserves to have an attorney that understands the legal process and the seriousness of issues affecting their life.
If you believe that you or a loved one has experienced nursing home abuse or neglect in Columbia, contact the injury attorneys at Rikard & Protopapas to have your case evaluated.
Rights of Nursing Home Abuse Victims in Columbia, SC
- Abuse victims suffer mentally, emotionally, and financially.
- Nursing home abuse is a civil wrong. A victim may have a legal claim.
- By bringing a legal claim, a nursing home abuse victim may receive financial compensation.
- Through the legal process, you may seek information and answers in discovery.
- A victim can have legal representation through the entire claims process.
- The Rikard & Protopapas team represents victims of nursing home abuse and neglect.
Nursing home abuse victims suffer terribly at the hands of their care providers. Physical injuries are painful, costly, and even deadly. This suffering deserves legal representation and fair compensation.
Building your case
To build a case for nursing home abuse and neglect, some of the steps we may take include:
- Speaking to your loved one and hearing their story
- Seeking medical records and documentation
- Investigating information and records from the care facility
- Talking to other residents, conducting depositions of employees
- Working with experts to explain the standard of care and how negligence caused harm
- Evaluating damages including economic losses and non-economic suffering
- Responding to defenses raised and legal issues in the case
Our representation is full service, taking care of everything from a legal perspective to represent a nursing home abuse and neglect victim.
Choose Our Experienced and Compassionate Legal Team
Let our experienced legal team help you. Highlights of the Rikard & Protopapas team include:
- Consultations are available in the nursing home, the hospital, at home, or another place that is convenient for you. Virtual consultations are available.
- No cost for a consultation, including answers to your questions and a discussion of the law.
- Our representation is compassionate. We understand the needs of victims in residential and assisted living facilities. It is our goal to meet your needs, communicating throughout your case.
- You can have representation from an award-winning team. We’ve been named “Top Rated” by Super Lawyers, and we’ve been recognized by Columbia Business Monthly and Columbia Living Magazine for professional excellence in various areas of the law.
- We have a team of ten attorneys and a full support staff. If you need to talk to your lawyer, we’re available.
- Over 120 years of combined experience is put to work on your case. Come see why 1,600 people have trusted us with their legal needs.
We personalize our representation to you. With millions collected in settlements and verdicts, we’re ready to work for you.
Talk to a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer – Free Consultation
Help is available for victims of nursing home abuse and neglect. If you’re ready to act, or if you’re looking for assistance to evaluate a situation, please contact us. You can talk to a nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer for free.
Learn about the law and what your legal options are. Call or message us at Rikard & Protopapas today.