Peter Protopapas came to South Carolina to attend law school and has since dedicated his practice to a variety of complex business and professional malpractice cases throughout the state. Peter secures results for victims of other’s negligence at a local and national level with over 20 reported decisions from the state and federal courts. He frequently litigates matters involving business contract disputes, securities and stock losses, and class actions. Peter also devotes his time to helping people navigate legal ethic issues across the state.
Known as a tough negotiator and courtroom advocate, Peter’s practice areas also include representing clients who have suffered catastrophic personal injury in automobile and trucking accidents, insurance bad faith cases and complex insurance coverage issues. With years of experience and success, Peter periodically lectures on these issues to lawyers and other professionals.
Originally from Boston, Massachusetts, Peter grew up in a large family whose roots span two continents. Peter, his wife and children make their home in Columbia, SC.
Organizations & Accolades
- Peter is active in legal groups such as the South Carolina Bar Association, the John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court, and the South Carolina Association of Justice.
- He has volunteered in the community and served as a Board Member for South Carolina Legal Services, a non-profit organization which assists South Carolinians.
- He is recognized by several professional rating services and among the region’s top legal professionals:
- Top Rated Professional Liability Attorney by Super Lawyers (2017-2022)
- Legal Elite in Business Litigation by the Columbia Business Monthly (2020, 2021)
- University of South Carolina School of Law (J.D., 2000)
- University of Florida (M.A., 1994)
- University of Massachusetts (B.A., 1992)
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit